Monday, March 12, 2012

March Happiness Challenge: Day 11

I know I am posting this on Monday the 12th, but it's supposed to be about Sunday, the 11th. And it was an utterly fantastic day. 


Uncommon for early March in Utah, the weather was beautiful. It was warm and the sun was shining. I decided it had been far too long since I'd seen my "kids", Kymira, Drayvin, Trace, and Achlys, so I asked Ryane what she had planned and if she wanted to go to the park. She told me that she had been with her sister Eryn, and they were planning to take the kids to the park later in the day and that they'd let me know and in turn, come pick me up. 

It was about 5 when they got here. I went out to the car, and there are Achlys and Trace in their carseats, and the instant they see me, they smile. We swing by and get Ryane's boyfriend Devin, then head to get Eryn's other two, Ky and Dray. They didn't know I would be with mom and Rye Rye when they were to be picked up, so suddenly, Kymira is banging on the passenger door and shrieking "SESSA!" at me. I open the door to hug her, and Drayvin materializes, practically bouncing higher than he is tall. 

We get the kids situated in the car and head to the park. We arrive, I help the kids out, and I race Dray to the playground. Even at only two, he books it. We spend about 45 minutes playing in the (mediocre, by my childhood standards), playground. Tiny Trace squeals with pure happiness as he is accompanied down the slide by his sister, and then seems pleased when mommy Eryn lets him slide about a foot down the smallest slide into my arms by himself. Achlys traipses around with Devan, periodically breaking off to come to me or run and have her own adventures. Ryane takes over a swing, first holding Trace, then Achlys. Drayvin gets his own swing and is excited to tell all of us that he's "Wingin by hisself." 

Over the course of the time we spend, I am snapping numerous photos with my camera. Achlys and Drayvin decide to start throwing tiny handfuls of sand at Ryane when she swings forward. It's a game of who's going to throw the sand and who we have to immediately move out of the way so they don't get kicked in the face. Drayvin, who the last several times I've seen him has not wanted any hugs, clings to me as though he'll never let me go, and if he does, he will never see me again. 

As always when I am with these people, I feel an overwhelming sense of love and happiness. I know I am good with kids, but the way they all react to me brings a smile to my face. Even now, as I am recounting our time at the little park before dusk, I can't help but smile so much my eyes crinkle. Every so often, you need a day where people love you, don't question you, and nothing ruins the lovely time you're having. 

No comments:

Post a Comment